1. euphemism for death, based on an analogy between lying in a bed and in a tomb
Example : I was laid to rest beneath my favorite tree.
2. take a short break from one's activities in order to relax 4. freedom from activity (work or strain or responsibility) 5. something left after other parts have been taken away 6. a pause for relaxation
Example : people actually accomplish more when they take time for short rests
8. rest on or as if on a pillow 9. be inherent or innate in 10. have a place in relation to something else 11. a support on which things can be put
Example : the gun was steadied on a special rest
12. a musical notation indicating a silence of a specified duration 13. a state of inaction
Example : a body will continue in a state of rest until acted upon
15. give a rest to
Example : I rested my bad leg for an hour after the softball game.
16. not move
Example : be in a resting position
17. put something in a resting position, as for support or steadying 18. be inactive, refrain from acting
Example : The committee is resting over the summer
Translation for "rest"
rest meaning in Spanish : descanso rest meaning in German : sich ausruhen rest meaning in Japanese : 残り rest meaning in Turkish : dinlenme rest meaning in Chinese : 休息 rest meaning in Arabic : راحة rest meaning in Polish : reszta rest meaning in Hindi : आराम rest meaning in French : du repos rest meaning in Russian : остальное rest meaning in Tamil : ஓய்வு rest meaning in Telugu : మిగిలిన