1. measuring stick consisting of a strip of wood or metal or plastic with a straight edge that is used for drawing straight lines and measuring lengths 2. something regarded as a normative example 3. a principle or condition that customarily governs behavior
Example : It was their rule to take a walk before breakfast.
4. a standard procedure for solving a class of mathematical problems
Example : The student determined the upper bound with Descartes' rule of signs.
5. a rule or law concerning a natural phenomenon or the function of a complex system 6. a basic generalization that is accepted as true and that can be used as a basis for reasoning or conduct 7. prescribed guide for conduct or action 8. (linguistics) a rule describing (or prescribing) a linguistic practice 9. dominance or power through legal authority 10. keep in check
Example : rule one's temper
11. decide with authority 12. decide on and make a declaration about 13. exercise authority over 14. be larger in number, quantity, power, status or importance 15. any one of a systematic body of regulations defining the way of life of members of a religious order
Example : the rule of St. Dominic
16. directions that define the way a game or sport is to be conducted
Example : I know the rules of chess.
17. the duration of a monarch's or government's power
Example : during the rule of Elizabeth
18. mark or draw with a ruler
Example : rule the margins
19. have an affinity with
Translation for "rule"
rule meaning in Spanish : regla rule meaning in German : Regel rule meaning in Japanese : ルール rule meaning in Turkish : kural rule meaning in Chinese : 规则 rule meaning in Arabic : قاعدة rule meaning in Polish : reguła rule meaning in Hindi : नियम rule meaning in French : règle rule meaning in Russian : правило rule meaning in Tamil : ஆட்சி rule meaning in Telugu : పాలన