1. try to locate or discover, or try to establish the existence of
Example : The police are searching for clues
2. the activity of looking thoroughly in order to find something or someone 3. an operation that determines whether one or more of a set of items has a specified property 4. inquire into
Example : the students had to research the history of the Second World War for their history project
6. an investigation seeking answers
Example : a thorough search of the ledgers revealed nothing
7. boarding and inspecting a ship on the high seas
Example : right of search
8. the examination of alternative hypotheses
Example : Our search for a move that would avoid checkmate was unsuccessful.
9. subject to a search
Example : The police searched the suspect
Translation for "search"
search meaning in Spanish : buscar search meaning in German : Suche search meaning in Japanese : サーチ search meaning in Turkish : arama search meaning in Chinese : 搜索 search meaning in Arabic : بحث search meaning in Polish : Szukaj search meaning in Hindi : खोज search meaning in French : chercher search meaning in Russian : поиск search meaning in Tamil : தேடல் search meaning in Telugu : శోధన