1. an indefinitely short time 2. a particular point in time 4. in the second place
Example : second, we must consider the economy
5. the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed near the second of the bases in the infield 6. merchandise that has imperfections 7. a speech seconding a motion
Example : do I hear a second?
8. a 60th part of a minute of arc
Example : the treasure is 2 minutes and 45 seconds south of here
9. give support or one's approval to
Example : I'll second that motion
10. a part or voice or instrument or orchestra section lower in pitch than or subordinate to the first
Example : second flute
11. coming next after the first in position in space or time or degree or magnitude 12. the gear that has the second lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle
Example : They had to shift down into second to make the hill.
13. the official attendant of a contestant in a duel or boxing match 14. following the first in an ordering or series
Example : We came in a close second.
15. transfer an employee to a different, temporary assignment
Example : The officer was seconded for duty overseas
Translation for "second"
second meaning in Spanish : segundo second meaning in German : zweite second meaning in Japanese : 二番目 second meaning in Turkish : ikinci second meaning in Chinese : 第二 second meaning in Arabic : ثانيا second meaning in Polish : druga second meaning in Hindi : दूसरा second meaning in French : seconde second meaning in Russian : второй second meaning in Tamil : இரண்டாவது second meaning in Telugu : రెండవ