1. the cutting of or into body tissues or organs (especially by a surgeon as part of an operation) 2. one of several parts or pieces that fit with others to constitute a whole object
Example : a section of a fishing rod
3. one of the portions into which something is regarded as divided and which together constitute a whole 4. a self-contained part of a larger composition
Example : They always turn first to the business section.
5. a specialized division of a large organization 6. a small class of students who are part of a larger course but are taught separately
Example : a graduate student taught sections for the professor's lecture course
7. (geometry) the area created by a plane cutting through a solid 9. a segment of a citrus fruit
Example : I ate a section of the orange.
10. a small team of policemen working as part of a police platoon 11. a small army unit usually having a special function 12. a division of an orchestra containing all instruments of the same class 13. a distinct region or subdivision of a territorial or political area or community or group of people
Example : no section of the nation is more ardent than the South
14. a very thin slice (of tissue or mineral or other substance) for examination under a microscope
Example : sections from the left ventricle showed diseased tissue
15. a land unit equal to 1 square mile
Translation for "section"
section meaning in Spanish : sección section meaning in German : Sektion section meaning in Japanese : セクション section meaning in Turkish : Bölüm section meaning in Chinese : 部分 section meaning in Arabic : الجزء section meaning in Polish : Sekcja section meaning in Hindi : अनुभाग section meaning in French : section section meaning in Russian : раздел section meaning in Tamil : பிரிவில் section meaning in Telugu : విభాగం