1. a mental representation of some haunting experience
Example : The soldiers were haunted by the shade of the event.
2. a subtle difference in meaning or opinion or attitude
Example : The shade of two editorials added to the main points of the argument.
3. a quality of a given color that differs slightly from another color
Example : After several trials they mixed the pink shade that we wanted for the paint.
4. relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body
Example : It is much cooler in the shade of the tree.
5. to cast a shadow over
Example : The tree shades the front of the house.
6. to represent the effect of shade or shadow on
Example : The artist used a different style to shade the fruit in the painting.
7. protective covering that protects something from direct sunlight
Example : The family used umbrellas as shades.
8. a representation of the effect of shadows in a picture or drawing
Example : The shade in that painting looks so realistic.
9. a slight amount or degree of difference
Example : The flavor of the next batch was a shade sweeter.
10. a position of relative inferiority
Example : The achievement that puts everything else in the shade.
11. to pass from one quality such as color to another by a slight degree
Example : The butterfly wings shade to yellow.
12. to vary slightly
Example : The punctuation shades the meaning of the sentence.
13. to protect from light, heat, or view
Example : The hunting blind shades the hunters from the sight of their prey.
14. subtle insults or a showing of disrespect, usually used with 'throw'
Example : The shade on the internet was a source of much excitement.
Translation for "shade"
shade meaning in Spanish : sombra shade meaning in German : Schatten shade meaning in Japanese : シェード shade meaning in Turkish : gölge shade meaning in Chinese : 阴凉处 shade meaning in Arabic : ظل shade meaning in Polish : cień shade meaning in Hindi : छाया shade meaning in French : ombre shade meaning in Russian : тень shade meaning in Tamil : நிழல் shade meaning in Telugu : నీడ