1. the housing or outer covering of something 2. hard outer covering or case of certain organisms such as arthropods and turtles 3. a metal sheathing of uniform thickness (such as the shield attached to an artillery piece to protect the gunners) 4. a very light narrow racing boat
Example : The regatta had at least one shell from all the local schools.
5. the exterior covering of a bird's egg 7. come out better in a competition, race, or conflict 8. use explosives on
Example : The enemy has been shelling us all day
9. create by using explosives 10. the hard largely calcareous covering of a mollusc or a brachiopod 11. ammunition consisting of a cylindrical metal casing containing an explosive charge and a projectile 12. a rigid covering that envelops an object
Example : the satellite is covered with a smooth shell of ice
13. the hard usually fibrous outer layer of some fruits especially nuts 14. the material that forms the hard outer covering of many animals 15. remove from its shell or outer covering
Example : shell the legumes
16. look for and collect shells by the seashore 17. hit the pitches of hard and regularly
Example : The visiting team shelled the pitcher for eight runs in the first inning.
18. fall out of the pod or husk
Example : The corn shelled
Translation for "shell"
shell meaning in Spanish : cáscara shell meaning in German : Schale shell meaning in Japanese : シェル shell meaning in Turkish : kabuk shell meaning in Chinese : 贝壳 shell meaning in Arabic : الصدف shell meaning in Polish : muszla shell meaning in Hindi : खोल shell meaning in French : coquille shell meaning in Russian : ракушка shell meaning in Tamil : ஷெல் shell meaning in Telugu : షెల్