1. move sideways or in an unsteady way 2. move very slightly
Example : I shifted in my seat.
3. a loose-fitting dress hanging straight from the shoulders without a waist 5. the time period during which you are at work 6. change place or direction 7. the act of changing one thing or position for another
Example : The shift from hunting and gathering to an agricultural based society was an important step on the road to modern organized production.
8. the act of moving from one place to another
Example : The student's constant shifts disrupted the class.
9. a woman's sleeveless undergarment 10. the key on the typewriter keyboard that shifts from lower-case letters to upper-case letters
Example : MY SHIFT BUTTON IS BROKEN AND NOW EVERYONE THINKS I AM YELLING AT THEM.
11. an event in which something is displaced without rotation 12. (geology) a crack in the earth's crust resulting from the displacement of one side with respect to the other 13. make a shift in or exchange of 14. lay aside, abandon, or leave for another 17. a crew of workers who work for a specific period of time
Example : No one wanted to be on the overnight shift, even though it paid better.
18. move and exchange for another
Example : shift the date for our class reunion
19. change gears
Example : You have to shift down when you go up a steep hill.
20. move from one setting or context to another
Example : shift the emphasis
21. change in quality
Example : The speaker's tone shifted as the speech turned to more serious matters.
22. change phonetically as part of a systematic historical change
Example : Grimm showed how the consonants shifted
23. use a shift key on a keyboard
Example : i could not shift so all my letters are written in lower case.
Translation for "shift"
shift meaning in Spanish : cambio shift meaning in German : Verschiebung shift meaning in Japanese : シフト shift meaning in Turkish : vardiya shift meaning in Chinese : 转移 shift meaning in Arabic : تحول shift meaning in Polish : przesunięcie shift meaning in Hindi : खिसक जाना shift meaning in French : décalage shift meaning in Russian : сдвиг shift meaning in Tamil : மாற்றம் shift meaning in Telugu : మార్పు