1. pierce with a sharp stake or point 2. a very high narrow heel on women's shoes 3. fruiting spike of a cereal plant especially corn 4. any holding device consisting of a rigid, sharp-pointed object
Example : the spike pierced the receipts and held them in order
5. to add alcohol to beverages
Example : The punch is spiked!
6. bring forth a spike or spikes 7. sports equipment consisting of a sharp point on the sole of a shoe worn by athletes
Example : spikes provide greater traction
8. a large stout nail
Example : they used spikes to fasten the rails to a railroad tie
9. a long, thin sharp-pointed implement (wood or metal)
Example : one of the spikes impaled him
10. a sharp-pointed projection along the top of a fence or wall (or a dinosaur) 11. each of the sharp points on the soles of athletic shoes to prevent slipping, or the shoes themselves
Example : The second baseman sharpened their spikes before every game.
12. a transient variation in voltage or current 13. a sharp rise followed by a sharp decline
Example : the seismograph showed a sharp spike in response to the temblor
14. (botany) an indeterminate inflorescence bearing sessile flowers on an unbranched axis 15. manifest a sharp increase
Example : the voltage spiked
Translation for "spike"
spike meaning in Spanish : espiga spike meaning in German : Spitze spike meaning in Russian : колос spike meaning in Portuguese : Espigão spike meaning in Chinese : 穗 spike meaning in Japanese : スパイク spike meaning in Tamil : ஸ்பைக் spike meaning in Arabic : تصاعد spike meaning in Turkish : başak spike meaning in Hindi : कील spike meaning in Telugu : స్పైక్ spike meaning in French : pointe