part , blow , take off , set off , start out , set out , set forth , depart , shove off , shove along , roar off 2. take the first step or steps in carrying out an action 4. a line indicating the location of the start of a race or a game 5. get off the ground
Example : Who started this company?
7. begin or set in motion
Example : I start at eight in the morning
8. the act of starting something 9. a turn to be a starter in the beginning of a game
Example : Occasionally young players get to start games when a more experienced player is injured.
10. a sudden involuntary movement
Example : They awoke with a start.
11. the advantage gained by beginning early, as in a race
Example : With an hour's start, I will be hard to catch.
12. a signal to begin (as in a race)
Example : the starting signal was a green light
13. the time at which something is supposed to begin
Example : they got an early start
14. set in motion, cause to start
Example : The U.S. started a war in the Middle East
15. get going or set in motion
Example : We simply could not start the engine
16. move or jump suddenly, as if in surprise or alarm
Example : The cat started when I walked into the room.
17. begin work or acting in a certain capacity, office or job 18. begin an event that is implied and limited by the nature or inherent function of the direct object 19. have a beginning, in a temporal, spatial, or evaluative sense 20. have a beginning characterized in some specified way 21. the beginning of anything
Example : it was off to a good start
22. play in the starting lineup
Translation for "start"
start meaning in Spanish : comienzo start meaning in German : Start start meaning in Japanese : 開始 start meaning in Turkish : başla start meaning in Chinese : 开始 start meaning in Arabic : بداية start meaning in Polish : początek start meaning in Hindi : शुरु start meaning in French : début start meaning in Russian : Начните start meaning in Tamil : தொடக்கத்தில் start meaning in Telugu : ప్రారంభం