1. a politically organized body of people under a single government
Example : the state has elected a new president
3. the territory occupied by a nation 5. the territory occupied by one of the constituent administrative districts of a nation
Example : Our state is in the deep south.
6. (chemistry) the three traditional states of matter are solids (fixed shape and volume) and liquids (fixed volume and shaped by the container) and gases (filling the container)
Example : the solid state of water is called ice
7. indicate through a symbol, formula, etc. 8. the way something is with respect to its main attributes
Example : the current state of knowledge
9. the group of people comprising the government of a sovereign state
Example : the state has lowered its income tax
10. a state of depression or agitation
Example : They were in such a state that you just could not reason with them.
Translation for "state"
state meaning in Spanish : estado state meaning in German : Zustand state meaning in Japanese : 状態 state meaning in Turkish : belirtmek, bildirmek state meaning in Chinese : 州 state meaning in Arabic : حالة state meaning in Polish : stan state meaning in Hindi : राज्य state meaning in French : Etat state meaning in Russian : государство state meaning in Tamil : நிலை state meaning in Telugu : రాష్ట్ర