2. a musical interval of two semitones 3. the distance covered by a step
Example : They paced off ten steps from the old tree and began to dig.
4. a mark of a foot or shoe on a surface 5. the sound of a step of someone walking
Example : I heard footsteps on the porch.
6. any maneuver made as part of progress toward a goal 7. a sequence of foot movements that make up a particular dance
Example : I taught them the waltz step.
8. support consisting of a place to rest the foot while ascending or descending a stairway
Example : I paused on the bottom step.
9. a short distance
Example : it's only a step to the drugstore
10. relative position in a graded series
Example : always a step behind
11. measure (distances) by pacing
Example : step off ten yards
12. put down or press the foot, place the foot 13. the act of changing location by raising the foot and setting it down
Example : The toddler walked with unsteady steps.
14. a solid block joined to the beams in which the heel of a ship's mast or capstan is fixed 15. move or proceed as if by steps into a new situation
Example : They stepped into a life of luxury.
16. place (a ship's mast) in its step 17. shift or move by taking a step
Example : step back
18. walk a short distance to a specified place or in a specified manner
Example : step over to the blackboard
19. move with one's feet in a specific manner
Example : step lively
20. furnish with steps
Example : The architect wants to step the terrace
21. cause (a computer) to execute a single command
Translation for "step"
step meaning in Spanish : paso step meaning in German : Schritt step meaning in Japanese : ステップ step meaning in Turkish : adım step meaning in Chinese : 步 step meaning in Arabic : خطوة step meaning in Polish : krok step meaning in Hindi : कदम step meaning in French : étape step meaning in Russian : шаг step meaning in Tamil : படி step meaning in Telugu : అడుగు