1. a supply of something available for future use
Example : Our stock of money was running low.
2. to amass so as to keep for future use or sale or for a particular occasion or use
Example : Let's stock coffee in the warehouse as long as prices are low.
3. regularly and widely used or sold
Example : Butter is a stock thing to have in your kitchen.
4. any animals kept for use or profit
Example : The stock was out eating grass in the fields.
5. an ornamental white cravat, often worn in horse dancing
Example : In the period film, several of the male actors wore stocks.
6. the merchandise that a shop has on hand
Example : The stock at the grocery was running low after the hurricane.
7. the handle of a handgun or the butt end of a rifle or shotgun or part of the support of a machine gun or artillery gun
Example : The rifle had been fitted with a special stock.
8. liquid in which meat and vegetables are simmered
Example : We left the mushrooms in hot water over night and made a delicious stock.
9. repeated too often, routine
Example : I was unimpressed with your reply, as that was a stock thing to say to someone.
10. a special variety of domesticated animals within a species
Example : The Blue Backed stock of cows is a totally made up subspecies, only used in dictionary examples.
11. the descendants of one individual
Example : Abraham's stock sure didn't get along with that Jacob.
12. persistent thickened stem of a herbaceous perennial plant
Example : The stock of the palm tree was very rough to touch.
13. a certificate documenting the shareholder's ownership in the corporation
Example : The value of our stocks doubled during the past year.
14. to have on hand
Example : We stock plenty of types of dairy.
15. the handle end of some implements or tools
Example : I grabbed the cue by the stock.
16. lumber used in the construction of something
Example : They will cut round stock to 1-inch diameter.
17. any of various ornamental flowering plants of the genus Malcolmia
Example : The stock were growing by the side of the road.
18. a plant or stem onto which a graft is made
Example : I chose the larger plant to be the stock that I would graft the other plant onto.
19. the capital raised by a corporation through the issue of shares entitling holders to an ownership interest
Example : We own a controlling share of the company's stock.
20. the reputation and popularity a person has
Example : Their stock was so high, they could have been elected mayor.
21. to provide or furnish with a stock of something
Example : We stocked the larder with meat.
22. to supply with livestock
Example : You should stock your farm before prices rise.
23. to supply with fish
Example : The private club would always stock the lake with trout and redfish.
24. to equip with a gun or tool with a handle or butt
Example : In the 19th century, most armies would stock their rifles.
Translation for "stock"
stock meaning in Spanish : valores stock meaning in German : Stock stock meaning in Japanese : 株式 stock meaning in Turkish : Stok stock meaning in Chinese : 股票 stock meaning in Arabic : مخزون stock meaning in Polish : Zbiory stock meaning in Hindi : भण्डार stock meaning in French : Stock stock meaning in Russian : склад stock meaning in Tamil : பங்கு stock meaning in Telugu : స్టాక్