1. put an end to a state or an activity 2. a punctuation mark (.) placed at the end of a declarative sentence to indicate a full stop or after abbreviations
Example : in England they call a period a stop
3. a brief stay in the course of a journey
Example : they made a stopover to visit their friends
4. prevent completion
Example : stop the project
5. the act of stopping something
Example : the third baseman made some remarkable stops
6. an obstruction in a pipe or tube 7. a restraint that checks the motion of something
Example : They used a book as a stop to hold the door open.
8. a mechanical device in a camera that controls size of aperture of the lens 9. a consonant produced by stopping the flow of air at some point and suddenly releasing it
Example : My stop consonants are too aspirated.
10. the event of something ending
Example : it came to a stop at the bottom of the hill
11. the state of inactivity following an interruption 12. stop and wait, as if awaiting further instructions or developments 13. hold back, as of a danger or an enemy 15. render unsuitable for passage 16. cause to stop
Example : stop a car
17. come to a halt, stop moving
Example : the car stopped
18. interrupt a trip
Example : we stopped at Aunt Mary's house
19. stop from happening or developing 20. have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense 21. a knob on an organ that is pulled to change the sound quality from the organ pipes
Example : The organist pulled out all the stops as the fugue drew to a close.
22. a spot where something halts or pauses
Example : The next stop is Atlanta.
Translation for "stop"
stop meaning in Spanish : detener stop meaning in German : halt stop meaning in Japanese : やめる stop meaning in Turkish : durdurmak stop meaning in Chinese : 停 stop meaning in Arabic : توقف stop meaning in Polish : zatrzymać stop meaning in Hindi : रुकें stop meaning in French : Arrêtez stop meaning in Russian : стоп stop meaning in Tamil : நிறுத்த stop meaning in Telugu : ఆపడానికి