1. enclose or envelop completely, as if by swallowing
Example : The huge waves swallowed the small boat and it sank shortly thereafter
2. to take back what one has said
Example : I swallowed my words.
3. tolerate or accommodate oneself to 4. the act of swallowing
Example : one swallow of the liquid was enough
5. a small amount of liquid food 6. utter indistinctly
Example : You swallowed the last words of your speech.
7. pass through the esophagus as part of eating or drinking 8. small long-winged songbird noted for swift graceful flight and the regularity of its migrations 9. believe or accept without questioning or challenge
Example : Am I supposed to swallow that story?
10. keep from expressing
Example : I swallowed my anger and kept quiet
11. engulf and destroy
Example : The Nazis swallowed the Baltic countries
Translation for "swallow"
swallow meaning in Spanish : golondrina swallow meaning in German : schlucken swallow meaning in Russian : глотать swallow meaning in Portuguese : andorinha swallow meaning in Chinese : 吞 swallow meaning in Japanese : 飲み込む swallow meaning in Tamil : விழுங்க swallow meaning in Arabic : السنونو swallow meaning in Turkish : Yutmak swallow meaning in Hindi : निगलना swallow meaning in Telugu : మింగడానికి swallow meaning in French : avaler