1. to exchange or give something in exchange for 2. the act of changing one thing or position for another
Example : The candidate's switch on abortion cost them the election.
3. control consisting of a mechanical or electrical or electronic device for making or breaking or changing the connections in a circuit
Example : I installed a switch to control the lights in the room.
4. to lay aside, abandon, or leave for another
Example : We switched to a different brand of beer.
5. a basketball maneuver in which defending players change the target they're guarding in mid-play
Example : The coach called for a switch in order to shake up the opposing team.
6. an event in which one thing is substituted for another 7. to reverse direction, attitude, or course of action 8. to change over, change around, as to a new order or sequence
Example : I switched places with the next person in line.
9. to cause to go on or to be engaged or set in operation
Example : Please switch off the light before you leave.
10. a flexible implement used as an instrument of punishment
Example : They have terrible memories of being beaten with a switch.
11. railroad track having two movable rails and necessary connections
Example : The train was guided onto a side track by a switch.
12. hairpiece consisting of a tress of false hair
Example : The ballroom dancer always wore a long blonde switch as part of their performance costume.
13. to flog with or as if with a flexible rod
Example : The handler switched the cattle.
Translation for "switch"
switch meaning in Spanish : cambiar switch meaning in German : Schalter switch meaning in Japanese : スイッチ switch meaning in Turkish : şalter switch meaning in Chinese : 开关 switch meaning in Arabic : مفتاح كهربائي switch meaning in Polish : przełącznik switch meaning in Hindi : स्विच switch meaning in French : commutateur switch meaning in Russian : переключатель switch meaning in Tamil : சுவிட்ச் switch meaning in Telugu : స్విచ్