1. to put to the test, as for its quality, or give experimental use to
Example : We tested the sushi and found it to be amazingly delicious.
2. any standardized procedure for measuring sensitivity or memory or intelligence or aptitude or personality in people or living beings
Example : I took an IQ test to find out just how darn smart I am.
3. trying something to find out about it
Example : We decided to give sushi a test.
4. the act of validating something
Example : The test of the machine passed.
5. the act of undergoing testing
Example : We survived the great test of battle and proved our mettle.
6. a set of questions or exercises evaluating skill or knowledge, often used in schools or licensing
Example : I always hated doing math tests in school, but at least I learned long division.
7. to examine someone's knowledge of something
Example : The teacher tests us every week.
8. to examine for the presence of disease or infection
Example : I was tested for HPV, but it came up negative.
9. a hard outer covering as of some amoebas and sea urchins
Example : The test of the amoeba was found to be very sturdy.
10. to undergo a validation of one's skills or abilities
Example : I tested myself against the worksheet we were given.
11. to determine the presence or properties of a substance
Example : We tested the water sample for Mercury, and found none.
12. to achieve a certain score or rating on a test
Example : I tested high on the LSAT and was admitted to all the good law schools.
13. to show a certain characteristic when tested
Example : We tested positive.
14. a game of cricket which lasts 5 days
Example : Watching every day of the test was truly a test of our patience and commitment.
Translation for "test"
test meaning in Spanish : prueba test meaning in German : Prüfung test meaning in Japanese : テスト test meaning in Turkish : Ölçek test meaning in Chinese : 测试 test meaning in Arabic : اختبار test meaning in Polish : test test meaning in Hindi : परीक्षा test meaning in French : tester test meaning in Russian : тестовое задание test meaning in Tamil : சோதனை test meaning in Telugu : పరీక్ష