1. give a healthy elasticity to
Example : Let's tone our muscles
2. vary the pitch of one's speech 3. utter monotonously and repetitively and rhythmically 4. a quality of a given color that differs slightly from another color 5. in music, the distinctive property of a complex sound such as a voice, noise or musical sound
Example : Your guitar has wicked tone.
6. a steady sound without overtones
Example : They tested your hearing with pure tones of different frequencies.
7. a musical interval of two semitones 8. a notation representing the pitch and duration of a musical sound 9. the quality of a person's voice
Example : They began in a conversational tone.
10. the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people 11. the elastic tension of living muscles, arteries, etc. that facilitate response to stimuli 12. a pitch or change in pitch of the voice that serves to distinguish words in tonal languages
Example : The Beijing dialect uses four tones.
13. the quality of something (an act or a piece of writing) that reveals the attitudes and presuppositions of the author
Example : the general tone of articles appearing in the newspapers is that the government should withdraw
14. change to a color image
Example : tone a photographic image
15. change the color or tone of
Example : tone a negative
Translation for "tone"
tone meaning in Spanish : tono tone meaning in German : Ton tone meaning in Japanese : トーン tone meaning in Turkish : ton tone meaning in Chinese : 音 tone meaning in Arabic : نغمة tone meaning in Polish : ton tone meaning in Hindi : सुर tone meaning in French : Ton tone meaning in Russian : тон tone meaning in Tamil : தொனி tone meaning in Telugu : టోన్