1. a canvas tent to house the audience at a circus performance 2. covering for a hole, especially a hole in the top of a container
Example : We removed the top of the carton.
3. a conical child's plaything tapering to a steel point on which it can be made to spin
Example : They got a bright red top and string to play with for their birthday.
4. the top or extreme point of something, usually a mountain or hill
Example : After hiking all day, we were rewarded with the view from the top.
5. the highest or uppermost side of anything
Example : put your books on top of the desk
6. the highest level or degree attainable 7. the first half of an inning 8. finish up or conclude
Example : They topped off their dinner with a cognac
9. be the culminating event 10. cut the top off
Example : top trees and bushes
11. pass by, over, or under without making contact
Example : the balloon cleared the tree tops
12. provide with a top or finish the top (of a structure)
Example : the towers were topped with conical roofs
13. be superior or better than some standard 15. situated at the top or highest position 16. a garment, especially for women, that extends from the shoulders to the waist or hips
Example : I buttoned my top.
17. platform surrounding the head of a lower mast 18. the greatest possible intensity
Example : I screamed at the top of my lungs.
19. the upper part of anything
Example : the mower cuts off the tops of the grass
20. strike (the top part of a ball in golf, baseball, or pool) giving it a forward spin 21. reach or ascend the top of
Example : The hikers topped the mountain just before noon
22. be at the top of or constitute the top or highest point
Example : A star tops the Christmas Tree
Translation for "top"
top meaning in Spanish : parte superior top meaning in German : oben top meaning in Japanese : 上 top meaning in Turkish : üst top meaning in Chinese : 最佳 top meaning in Arabic : أعلى top meaning in Polish : Top top meaning in Hindi : चोटी top meaning in French : Haut top meaning in Russian : Топ top meaning in Tamil : மேல் top meaning in Telugu : టాప్