1. a time for working, after which you will be relieved by someone else
Example : It is your turn to guard the front door.
2. to go sour or spoil
Example : The milk turned.
3. to break and turn over earth especially with a plow
Example : I turned the field with the aid of my donkey.
4. in sports, a division during which one team is on the offensive
Example : Looks like thee home team will have a turn now.
5. to pass to the other side of
Example : We turned the corner.
6. to cause to move around a center so as to show another side of
Example : We turned the page of the children's book together.
7. to undergo a change or development
Example : The water turned into ice.
8. the act of changing or reversing the direction of the course
Example : They took a turn to the right.
9. the activity of doing something in an agreed succession
Example : It is my turn to role the dice.
10. a favor for someone
Example : You did me a good turn.
11. a short theatrical performance that is part of a longer program
Example : The turns need to be less than ten minutes.
12. a movement in a new direction
Example : The turn of the wind blew smoke from the fire directly into my face.
13. an unforeseen development
Example : The events suddenly took an awkward turn.
14. a circular segment of a curve
Example : Now let's examine the turn.
15. to twist suddenly so as to sprain
Example : I turned my ankle.
16. to pass into a condition gradually, take on a specific property or attribute
Example : Your kids are turning into excellent chess players.
17. to change to the contrary
Example : The politician's views on abortion turned.
18. to undergo a transformation or a change of position or action
Example : We turned from Socialism to Capitalism.
19. to have recourse to, make an appeal, request for help or information to
Example : The faithful turned to religion in times of need.
20. let something fall or spill from a container
Example : Turn the flour onto a plate.
21. to shape by rotating on a lathe or cutting device or a wheel
Example : I can turn the legs of the table in no time with my new lathe.
22. to channel one's attention, interest, thought, or attention toward or away from something
Example : The chocolate lover turned to bonbons for satisfaction.
23. to send or let go
Example : They turned away the crowd at the gate of the governor's mansion.
24. to cause to move around or rotate
Example : I turned the key in the lock.
25. to cause to move along an axis or into a new direction
Example : Turn your face to the wall.
26. to move around an axis or a center
Example : The wheels are turning.
27. to get by buying and selling
Example : The company turned a good profit after a year.
28. to accomplish by rotating
Example : The gymnast turned a somersault.
29. to cause to change or turn into something different
Example : The caterpillar turned to a butterfly.
30. taking a short walk out and back
Example : We took a turn in the park.
31. the act of turning away or in the opposite direction
Example : I made an abrupt turn away from them.
32. to become officially one year older
Example : They are turning 50 this year.
33. to change color
Example : In Vermont, many tourists come after the leaves start to turn.
34. to direct at someone
Example : They turned a smile on me.
35. to alter the functioning or setting of
Example : Turn the dial to 10.
Translation for "turn"
turn meaning in Spanish : giro turn meaning in German : Wende turn meaning in Japanese : 順番 turn meaning in Turkish : dönüş turn meaning in Chinese : 转 turn meaning in Arabic : منعطف أو دور turn meaning in Polish : skręcać turn meaning in Hindi : मोड़ turn meaning in French : tour turn meaning in Russian : очередь turn meaning in Tamil : முறை turn meaning in Telugu : మలుపు