2. (often used as a combining form) in a good or proper or satisfactory manner or to a high standard (`good' is a nonstandard dialectal variant for `well')
Example : the children behaved well
3. indicating high probability 4. in financial comfort
Example : They live well
5. in a manner affording benefit or advantage
Example : They married well.
6. to a great extent or degree
Example : I'm afraid the film was well over budget
7. with great or especially intimate knowledge
Example : we knew them well
8. an abundant source
Example : They were a well of information.
9. come up, as of a liquid
Example : Tears well in their eyes.
10. wise or advantageous and hence advisable 11. without unusual distress or resentment 12. thoroughly or completely 14. to a suitable or appropriate extent or degree
Example : the project was well underway
15. with skill or in a pleasing manner
Example : They dance very well.
16. with prudence or propriety
Example : You would do well to say nothing more
17. used for emphasis or as an intensifier meaning entirely or fully
Example : Berlin is well worth visiting.
18. in good health especially after having suffered illness or injury
Example : appears to be entirely well
19. a deep hole or shaft dug or drilled to obtain water or oil or gas or brine 20. an enclosed compartment in a ship or plane for holding something as e.g. fish or a plane's landing gear or for protecting something as e.g. a ship's pumps 21. an open shaft through the floors of a building, such as for a stairway
Example : The well through the building was over fourteen storeys high.
22. a cavity or vessel used to contain liquid
Translation for "well"
well meaning in Spanish : bien well meaning in German : Gut well meaning in Japanese : よく well meaning in Turkish : iyi well meaning in Chinese : 好 well meaning in Arabic : حسنا well meaning in Polish : dobrze well meaning in Hindi : कुंआ well meaning in French : bien well meaning in Russian : Что ж well meaning in Tamil : நன்கு well meaning in Telugu : బాగా