2. the total output of a writer or artist (or a substantial part of it) 5. the occupation for which you are paid 6. a product produced or accomplished through the effort, activity, or agency of a person or thing
Example : It is not regarded as one of my more memorable works.
7. a place where work is done
Example : They arrived at work early today.
8. applying the mind to learning and understanding a subject (especially by reading)
Example : mastering a second language requires a lot of work
10. cause to undergo fermentation 11. find the solution to (a problem or question) or understand the meaning of 12. use or manipulate to one's advantage 13. perform as expected when applied 14. cause to happen or to occur as a consequence
Example : I cannot work a miracle
15. make something, usually for a specific function 16. shape, form, or improve a material
Example : work stone into tools
17. proceed along a path
Example : work one's way through the crowd
18. cause to work
Example : I am working my employees hard to meet a deadline.
19. be employed
Example : Is your husband working again?
20. have an effect or outcome 21. have and exert influence or effect
Example : The artist's work influenced the young painter
22. activity directed toward making or doing something
Example : I checked several points needing further work.
23. (physics) a manifestation of energy 24. arrive at a certain condition through repeated motion
Example : The stitches of the hem worked loose after the coat had been worn many times.
25. move into or onto
Example : work the raisins into the dough
26. gratify and charm, usually in order to influence
Example : the political candidate worked the crowds
27. move in an agitated manner
Example : My fingers worked with tension.
28. provoke or excite
Example : The rock musician worked the crowd of young girls into a frenzy
29. proceed towards a goal or along a path or through an activity
Example : work your way through every problem or task
30. exert oneself by doing mental or physical work for a purpose or out of necessity
Example : I will work hard to improve my grades
31. cause to operate or function
Example : This pilot works the controls
32. operate in or through 33. operate in a certain place, area, or specialty
Example : They work the night clubs.
34. behave in a certain way when handled
Example : This dough does not work easily
Translation for "work"
work meaning in Spanish : trabajo work meaning in German : Arbeit work meaning in Japanese : 作業 work meaning in Turkish : iş work meaning in Chinese : 工作 work meaning in Arabic : عمل work meaning in Polish : praca work meaning in Hindi : काम work meaning in French : travail work meaning in Russian : Работа work meaning in Tamil : வேலை work meaning in Telugu : పని